Winter brings colder temperatures, and along with that snow and ice. Snow shoveling can be hard work! It involves a lot of bending and heavy lifting, which could lead to possible back injuries and strained muscles if you don’t take the proper precautions. So, we wanted to share some safety tips for your snow clearing.
- Check with your Doctor first
- Dress for the weather, stay warm!
- Choose a shovel that is an appropriate size for your height and feels comfortable
- Perform stretches and a light warm-up prior to starting
- Push the snow instead of lifting it, when possible
- Avoid throwing snow over your shoulder or to the side, this creates stress on the back
- Pace yourself and take breaks when needed
- Shovel frequently, light snow is easier to clear, avoid shoveling heavy or packed snow
City of Calgary
If you are unable or delay clearing the snow from your walks it creates a hazard for others in your community.
The City of Calgary Bylaw states “Within 24 hours after a snowfall has ended, it is your responsibility to remove all snow and ice from sidewalks bordering your property.” To help with snow safety, the City offers free sand & salt mixture called pickle, is available for pick up at City Roads’ maintenance yards, free of charge while supplies last.
For the full details on the City Bylaws head to calgary.ca
Help with Snow Removal
If you require assistance, limited on time or just don’t like shoveling, let our professional snow crews clear the snow for you! They are fully equipped and can even handle acreage driveways. Assiniboine offers snow shoveling, snow plowing and ice management services. We have different contract options ranging from vacation snow removals to complete service throughout the season.