Beat the Heat with these Summer Lawn Care Tips
The hot summer temperatures are here, time to soak up the sun!
Long days and high temperatures can cause stress to your lawn. Here are a few summer lawn care tips to help your yard beat the heat.
Regular watering is crucial to maintaining a healthy lawn through the summer months.
Be Water Smart:
- Check the weather forecast and plan to delay watering if its calling for rain.
- Morning is the ideal time to water your grass, allows water a chance to soak deep into the roots before the heat can evaporate it away.
- Avoiding watering midday when the temperature is at its peak, helps reduce wasteful water use.
- One inch of water per week (or a frisbee full) is typically the rule of thumb when it comes to lawn care.
- Less is more – water less frequently but for a longer duration will encourage deep root growth
Proper watering schedule will help encourage the roots to grow longer, keeping itself hydrated during dry-spells.
Timing is key!
Returning the grass clippings to the turf is beneficial for the overall health of the lawn. The clippings will easily break down and decompose back into the lawn.
Benefits of Mulching:
- Free fertilizer, clippings add nutrients back to the soil
- Nitrogen levels increase, which develops the deep green colour
- Keeps the soil temperature cooler
- Reduces moisture evaporation…which means less watering!
Keep your lawn healthy the natural way.
Limit Lawn Space
Installing a low maintenance bed with drought resilient plants is a great way to be water smart, and bring life to your lawn! Adding rock or mulch limits water evaporation, limits weeds ability to establish a root system and also helps regulate temperature.